Making EV Charging Easier Than Refueling with Wireless Power
WiTricity is the pioneer in developing wireless charging for electric vehicles (EVs) that is as fast and efficient as plugging in. Global automakers are accelerating development of EV platforms, and WiTricity is focused on improving the ownership experience — no more cables, no mess, and no worry about remembering to charge. The future of mobility is electrified, autonomous and shared, and wireless charging is an essential enabler for fleets of robotaxis where there is no driver to plug in.
WiTricity Transfers Electric Energy or Power over Distance without Wires
WiTricity technology provides a unique solution of all sizes and power requirements.
Resonant coupling occurs when the natural frequencies of the two systems – a source and a receiver — are approximately the same. WiTricity power sources and receiver devices are specially designed magnetic resonators that efficiently transfer power over large distances via the magnetic near-field.
Why magnetic resonance? The only technology that meets automaker requirements for wireless EV charging:
- Power transfer as efficient as conventional plug in (90-93% grid to battery)
- Powers through materials (in-ground placement, asphalt, cement, snow, ice, etc.)
- Park-and-charge X-Y flexibility
- Spans all vehicle heights with single design and no moving parts (static or dynamic)
- Charges as fast as conventional plug-in
- Bi-directional power transfer – use large battery on EV to: stabilise grid, power home
Smart Cities Go Wireless
The world’s population is increasingly urban. More than half of all people currently inhabit urban areas and by 2050, it is expected that 70% of the world’s population will be in urban areas. Urban Mobility is a huge challenge. Today, 65% of all travel is urban and that is projected to increase sharply by 2050 (Arthur D. Little statistics). Getting around the urban core quickly, conveniently and without creating massive pollution will be critical to life. This will require massively ramping up green electric vehicles and their charging infrastructure in urban areas making it easy and convenient. WiTricity can address this challenge in three main, strategic ways:
- Wirelessly Powered Urban Transit – Enable wirelessly charged buses, trams and people movers (distributing energy from renewables) with in-route opportunity charging
- Wirelessly Powered Shared & Autonomous Vehicles – Autonomous vehicles have no drivers and no one to plug them in, effective deployment requires autonomous opportunity charging in the service area
- Enabling an Intelligent Bidirectional Grid – Use vehicles intelligently as energy sources/sinks to buffer the grid on demand