Wireless Charging for Electric Vehicles
Momentum Dynamics is the market leader and has developed an unmatched technical capability in wireless charging of electric vehicles. The company practices world-class technology innovation and is recognized for the extraordinary accomplishments and unique expertise of its engineers and scientists. Momentum was recently named a winner of the 2019 Emerging Technology Award from Mechanical Engineering Magazine.
- Fast charge power – Up to 450kW systems means faster charging and more miles per minute while charging.
- Performance – Automatic charging with greater than 90% efficiency.
- Cost – Low acquisition cost with near-zero maintenance costs, no cables or connectors to replace, and no moving parts.
- Modularity – Modular configurations allow any vehicle type to be matched to any charging scenario.
The Momentum® Charger is a modular platform technology capable of spanning across multiple vehicle types automatically and without a plug.
- Transit buses
- Commercial vehicles
- Auto fleets
- Industrial vehicles
Inductive charging systems are highly efficient and automatic. Our technology is based on the scientific principle of resonant magnetic induction, and provides fast, automated opportunity charging for electric vehicles with no moving parts.
An alternating current is fed into a resonant transmitting coil which creates a magnetic field. The magnetic field is captured by a resonant receiving coil creating an alternating current in that coil.
- Vehicle Subsystem – The vehicle side of the wireless charging system comprises a receiver pad and an electronics module. High frequency AC is converted to DC which directly charges the vehicle’s battery.
- Ground Subsystem – The ground side of the Wireless Charging System consists of a charging pad installed in the pavement, which is connected to an electronics cabinet. High frequency AC power is generated by the electronics cabinet and transmitted by the charging pad to the vehicle.
Wireless Charging Technology Benefits
- Extends EV range with automatic on-route charging.
- Increases the useful life of the battery: frequent partial charging reduces the rate of battery degradation, saving time and money.
- Facilitates automated fleets: autonomous fueling, authentication, billing and energy transactions keeps vehicles in continuous revenue service.
- Eliminates harmful emissions, contributing to cleaner air and a greener planet.
- Lowest Total Cost of Ownership: maintenance, operations, and parts costs.
- Robust and modular DC fast charging solutions range from 50 kW to 450 kW.
- Operates automatically: Removes range anxiety while powering high-utilization vehicles – trucks, buses, commercial vehicles and autonomous vehicles.
- All weather charging transmits energy efficiently across water, ice, snow, mud and gravel.
Wireless Charging in Action
Wireless charging offers reduced cost and increased efficiency refueling autonomous and electric vehicles. Cities are moving toward electric vehicles for public transportation, but limited battery capacity (range) has hindered their growth. Momentum Dynamics’ wireless, high-power charging systems can provide unlimited range to fleets with set routes.
With on-route and in-depot inductive charging systems, electric buses can now outperform diesel-fueled and hybrid buses in terms of extending the vehicle’s driving range. By providing unlimited range, Momentum can reduce the number of buses and chargers needed by an operator. The system is installed in the roadway, which allows buses to be recharged multiple times per day during their scheduled stops.
- On-Route: Charging at 50 to 450 kW while a bus is loading and un-loading passengers.
- In-Depot: Low-profile, tightly stacked autonomous charging
The Momentum charging system is ideal for charging delivery vans at 50 kW to 150 kW while packages or cargo are being coordinated at the loading dock. From the moment the vehicle backs up to the loading dock until it pulls away, Momentum’s wireless charger is adding energy to the battery automatically with no driver engagement required.
- Fast: High power (up to 150kW) charging systems for delivery vans and trucks
- Automatic: Never worry about charging while at the dock
The Momentum charging system is ideal for high-utilization fleets such as taxis and can provide up to 75 kW of power automatically while the taxi is in the queue.
- Maximize in-service time: Never take time out of your day to charge
- Autonomous: Charging happens in the background while you wait